Thursday, October 8, 2009

Lawrence Welk on SNL


So I promise one of these days I intend to post something fun that I've come up with rather than just throw crap on here that I think will make you giggle. But alas, that day is not today.

I decided to throw this one on here because I think its pretty funny. I grew up watching Lawrence Welk with my grandfather on Sundays. We would come home from church and he would pop it on while we waited for dinner to be ready. I think he did it because he thought we all hated it and he thought it was fun to torture us, but I have to confess that I came to really enjoy it.

It has an inherent kitsch value that I think we can all agree rules. But if you look past that you see the show for what it is. A completely non-offensive program. You could watch this thing all day long and not find a damn thing in it that bothers you or pisses you off. Most of the songs are way too cheesy to hate for real and the people are very clean and pleasant. And white.

Maybe that could be construed as offensive. It's all white people.

Anyway, here is a taste of some real Lawrence Welk action.


And that is pretty standard. I've seen a million numbers on this show where the girl sits on the guy's lap and they sing a delightful song about a picnic or a sunny day or saving themselves for marriage.

Plus Lawrence had a great accent. It sounded like he had learned English the day before, but damned if the band didn't respect the man. He could play a hell of an accordion too.

And, yes, I do wish I was a part of the kind of musical family that would be featured on the show. I think my sister and I could have brought the house down with something adorable. Maybe "All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth" or "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" for a holiday special. We were pudgy, little Polish kids so we would have killed.

Also, if for any reason I'm put in charge of a movie or TV show, this is how it will end.

No comments:

Post a Comment