Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Prince's Word of the Day: Scuttlebutt!

I don't really have a problem with this word of the day. I just kind of like it and was surprised to find out its true meaning, so I thought I would share.

The informal definition of "scuttlebutt" is a gossip or a rumor. The formal definition is a cask of water on a ship. Essentially, a pirate water cooler. Its funny to me that people aren't really all that different over the course of time.

After a long day of raping and pillaging up and down the coast, the pirates would meet at the water cooler to talk about how Old Salty only takes ladies' underwear from the vast estates in the port city or why One-Eyed Doug got an extra rum ration. They're no different than you or I.

I also think Scuttlebutt would make an awesome pet name. Like for a really big fish in a saltwater tank or like a real mangy dog with one eye.

Additionally, it would be a cool band name. I could see them doing punk covers of old sea shanties.

1 comment:

  1. Also sounds like it should be a football play, like "flea flicker"... "Greg Minah's block at starting left tackle really made this classic scuttlebutt work"

    Just thinking out loud now, but we oughta sit around, get corpulous with a bunch of beers and think up crazy plays and then pitch them to the Ravens... starting with "The Scuttlebutt"

    ReplyDelete