Tuesday, November 17, 2009

WWII in HD is On!


So I have basically spent the entire week (only three days at this point) with an enormous nerd boner. The History Channel began airing its WWII in HD and it is the tits, as I suspected.

In an earlier post I mentioned that the series contains never-before-seen color footage from the war that was unearthed during a two-year global search. My hats off to these guys because they turned up some cool shit. The actors voicing the younger soldiers are also pretty cool. I wasn't sure how this would turn out but its working nicely (its mostly guys like Ron Livingston and Steve Zahn doing Southern accents). Its also probably way better than having the 80-year-olds do their own voice work. Those guys are still pretty cool though.

Mostly the episodes just show freaking carnage. We've seen a ton of battles in the Pacific theater, which mostly means you see a lot of dead Japanese soldiers. I also just got to see Marines practicing hand-to-hand combat in the Phillipines. There has also been a lot of footage of the air battles over Europe. As you can imagine I am geeking out hardcore.

The show can be pretty disturbing though. As I mentioned before, there was a lot of footage of the dead Japanese soldiers and that got pretty gruesome. The worst thing thus far came in the first episode, before the U.S. even entered the war. They managed to find footage of the Nazi occupation in Hungary. In this one instance the Nazi soldiers selected 36 Serbs from a crowd and hung them from a tree in retaliation for a shooting the night before. It was f-ed up.

Right now, I'm watching the Allies roll through France on their way to Germany. The show airs two new hours each night with tons of reruns of the earlier episodes so its not too late to catch up. Its worth checking out if you are a history buff like myself. I'll be watching this and then probably the finest WWII movies for the rest of the week.

Thanks for letting me geek out. I now return you to your regularly scheduled dick jokes.

2 comments:

  1. So I just watched one of the episodes and one of the old soldiers told a story about when he came home and was given a suite by a hotel manager in San Antonio when all of the other rooms had been booked by other wounded soldiers.

    The guy's wife came to meet him and the spent the night there. Then he said that nine months to the day, their first child was born. Now we've got geriatric sex to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. like the immortal saying in superbad....."i have a boner!!!!!!!"

    ReplyDelete